Dr. habil. Anna Salek
- Study of Food Microbiology: Master degree (1970) and Ph.D. (1979) in Microbiology/Biochemistry/Biotechnology (“An influence of gamma irradiation with Co 60 and nitrites on enzymatic system / metabolim of Enterobacteriaceae”) from the Agricultural University of Warsaw;
- Sc.D. habilitation (1989) at the University of Olsztyn and at the Institute of Biotechnology in Warsaw (“A physiology/fermentation and a cell engineering of yeast, a genetic construction of new Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains”);
- Fellowship of UNDP/FAO in Germany: “Development of genetic engineering methods for the improvement of strains of industrial microorganisms”.
Work in research and didactics:
- at the Agricultural University of Warsaw (on technical / food microbiology) and as research associate (1970-1979);
- at the Institute of Biotechnology in Warsaw: on the optimalisation of fermentation process and on the yeast cell engineering (1979-1989);
- at the University of Würzburg in Germany: on the genetic: electro-fusion of protoplasts and electro-transformation of dsRNA (1989-1992);
- at the Technical University of Munich, and a co-operation with the pharmaceutical industry in Passau, Germany: on the modern biochemistry of protein: purification and a biochemical characterisation of glycoproteins for pharmaceutical development, on the mammalian cell cultures and as Regulatory Affairs Scientist for veterinary medicine (1992-1996);
- at the GSF-National Research Center for Environmental and Health (GmbH) in Munich, Germany (on the PCR technique, applied for detection and identification of medically / environmental important fungi and development the automated yeast identification system (1996-1997).
Work for pharmaceutical industry:
- at the firm „Inropharm“ GmbH & Co. in Passau, Germany: on the microbiology, chemistry (a validation of veterinary medicines) and development of projects – as a manager of pharmaceutical products production (1997-1999).
Work for laboratory analysis (as laboratory manager):
- as a manager of Microbiology Laboratory (at the Institute of Microbiology and Laboratory, Germany): on the microbiology/HACCP of environment, water, food, fees, cosmetic, BSE, etc. (1999-heute).
Areas of expertise:
- Genetic and cell engineering research on the yeast and bacteria.
- Molecular biology techniques for identification of bacteria & fungi and for identification of GMO (apply of GMO analysis in routine laboratory).
- Microbiology/physiology/diagnostic of yeasts and bacteria (pathogenic and non-pathogenic) in food and environment; an integration of microbial databases and microbial bio-diversity.
- Biochemistry of proteins (modern electrophoresis techniques and all chromatographic modern methods) for development, recovery and biochemical purification of drug-protein.
- A modern, rapid & safety biological methods for detection of pathogenic bacteria (foodborne/zoonotic), i.e. Listeria, Salmonella, Staphylococcus, Legionella, Cryptosporidium , yeasts, i.e. dermatophytes and mycotoxins, antibiotics as well as other residues using: PCR, ELISA, FISH-fluorescence, biosensors, impedance technique, etc.
- Microbiology of safety food, drinks/beverages and fermentation processes (Food Monitoring, Risk Assessment); R & D of probiotics and prebiotics in aspects of Functional Food and Nutraceuticals.
- Microbiology of environmental (microbiology of water, air and soil), Risk of biohazards Assessment.
- HACCP and monitoring of food in GLP/GMP/GHP, i.e. for Safety Food Chain: processing, supply and surveillance system; International Food Standard Audit & Expertise as well as an organisation of integration projects: Polish-German for European Union (Brussels) and in cooperation with Polish government as well as Agricultural University (since January 2003 as own firm “International Bio-Consulting”).
- Pharmacology and toxicology of veterinary medicines on mammalian cells (Research Monographs).
- Regulatory Affairs Scientist (MRLs), i.e. registration of veterinary medicines (hazardous) in EC Brussels / London and in Ministry of Health in Berlin, Germany.
- R & D of veterinary medicines i.e. manager for production and quality control (microbiology & chemistry & validation methods) in industrial scale.
- Management of BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) analytic (Prionics and Bio-Rad System) and research on the development of life method for an identification of prions res.
- 4 patents about probiotics for feed-production (grass Silage), drugproteins as pre-therapeutics, biosensors for pathogens.
- Laboratory accreditation (according to EU / ISO Norm 17025:2005), product certification and microbiological / chemical methods validation, research and development on the new / modern analytical methods.